~ Messiah Would Be an Eternal King ~
“Search the Scriptures—they testify of Me.”
— Jesus Christ (John 5:39)
“He is the one who will build a house for My Name, and I will establish the throne of His kingdom forever. I will be His father, and He will be My Son… My love will never be taken away from Him, as I took it away from Saul, whom I removed from before you [David]. Your house and your kingdom will endure forever before Me; your throne will be established forever” (2 Samuel 7:13-16).
“He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end” (Luke 1:32-33).
To this point we have looked at specific Hebrew Scriptures which prophesied that the Messiah would be a descendant of Abraham (4x), Isaac (2x), Jacob, the tribe of Judah, and King David, and that He would have characteristics like Melchizedek and would be from the seed of a woman (Mary). Jesus Christ fulfills all of these requirements (Matthew 1:1-16).
~~~ EXPLANATORY “MESSIAH” NOTES ~~~
(1) Each Saturday ALN posts an example of a Hebrew Scriptures prophecy (or foreshadowing) related to the coming Messiah which was fulfilled in the birth, life, death, or resurrection of Jesus Christ.
(2) While extensive it will not be a complete list—there are hundreds of prophecies of the coming Messiah which have been fulfilled by one man—Jesus Christ at His First Coming.
(3) It is important that there are many more prophecies of the Messiah, yet unfulfilled, which Christians believe will be fulfilled at the time of His Second Coming. A particularly relevant Scripture verse in this regard is: “Do not despise prophesies” (1 Thessalonians 5:20).
(4) These posts will typically consist only of Scripture—which speaks for itself. Sometimes italicized or bold font will be used by ALN for emphasis.
(5) The numbering of these fulfilled prophecies of the Messiah is used to differentiate individual posts. It is not chronological (either by time of the prophecy or by sequence in the life of the Messiah). The posting sequence will, for the most part, be in the order that the prophecies appear in Scripture.
(6) Because of the chosen methodology (#5 above) we will find many specific prophecies repeated multiple times throughout the Scriptures.
(7) These serial posts are in addition to our regular Tuesday ALN postings on random topics.
(8) Subscription to ABUNDANT LIFE NOW blog is simple—just use the link on the left sidebar. Once subscribed you will not miss future posts.
~ Robert Lloyd Russell, ABUNDANT LIFE NOW