~ What I Don’t Like About Christmas! ~
Taking Christ Out of Christmas ~ Shortening the word Christmas to Xmas, whether intentionally or not, removes Christ from CHRISTmas. Aren’t we celebrating His birth?
It is a subtle thing, but it has an impact, when we greet one another with Seasons Greetings or Happy Holidays, rather than Merry Christmas!
By the way, “Where have all the nativity scenes gone?” There was a time, not that long ago, when all the department stores and many public places (including government) prominently displayed nativity scenes. But that was before the emphasis on political correctness.
Society has turned Christmas into a commercial focus on gift-buying—increasingly expensive gifts—often for people who do not need what they are given.
Suggestions ~ (1) This Christmas choose to deliberately take your holiday back.
(2) Avoid the politically correct greetings and wish people a “Merry Christmas” or remind them that there is “Joy to the World” since the Savior has come!
(3) When you find a nativity scene in retail outlets and other public places, make your thankfulness known to the organization. In some nativity-less situations you might politely express your disappointment at the lack of a nativity scene.
(4) Do all the Christmas cards you send out have a clear spiritual message?
(5) How about your Christmas decorations inside and outside your home? Do you display stars and nativity scenes or is prominence given to Frosty, Rudolph, reindeer, and Santa Claus?
(6) Cut back on the gift-giving and use your savings to give to Him through Christian organizations which work to honor Him.
(7) Re-evaluate your own life with regard to your time, finances, activities, and priorities. Ask yourself if He would desire that you make permanent changes.
~ Robert Lloyd Russell, ABUNDANT LIFE NOW