Tuesday, July 9, 2013

3/7 Prayer Rule



~ The Psalms Provide A Key For Effective Prayer ~

We have probably all heard the comment, “God gave us two ears and one mouth so that we would listen more than we talk.” May I suggest to you the “3/7 Rule for Prayer” which comes from the Book of Psalms. 

Psalm 55:17  ~  “As for me, I will call upon God, and the Lord shall save me.  Evening and morning and at noon I will pray, and cry aloud, and He shall hear my voice.  He has redeemed my soul in peace from the battle that was against me, for there were many against me.  God will hear, and afflict them, even He who abides from of old” (Psalm 55:16-19).  The psalmist said, “evening and morning and at noon” he would pray!  Here the context is clearly prayers of request (petition).  The psalmist states three specific times when he will make his requests known to God.

Psalm 119:164  ~  Princes persecute me without a cause, but my heart stands in awe of Your Word.  I rejoice at Your Word as one who finds great treasure.  I hate and abhor lying, but I love Your Law.  Seven times a day I praise You, because of Your righteous judgments.  Great peace have those who love Your Law, and nothing causes them to stumble.  Lord, I hope for Your salvation, and I do Your Commandments.  My soul keeps Your Testimonies, and I love them exceedingly.  I keep Your Precepts and Your Testimonies, for all my ways are before You” (Psalm 119:161-168).  The psalmist said, “seven times a day I will praise You.”  The context here is clearly recognition of who God is, His Word, His attributes, and what He does for His people (praise).  The psalmist knew the value or reflecting many times a day on who God is and what He has done. 

The 3/7 Rule  ~  For every 3 times I petition God, I will praise Him at least 7 times for all that He is and all that He has done and is doing on my behalf. 

~ Robert Lloyd Russell, ABUNDANT LIFE NOW

No comments:

Post a Comment