Friday, May 23, 2014

Christian Service, 5of5



~ Examples of Effective Christian Service ~

Consider our supreme example, Jesus Christ, whom we are to imitate. 

Wise Servant  ~  And so it was, when Jesus had ended these sayings, that the people were astonished at His teaching, for He taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes” (Matthew 7:28-29). 

Obedient Servant  ~  Then I said, ‘Behold, I come; in the scroll of the book it is written of me.  I delight to do Your will, O my God, and Your law is within my heart’” (Psalm 40:7-8). 

Suffering Servant  ~  In anticipating His death on the Cross our Savior said, “Now My soul is troubled, and what shall I say?  ‘Father, save Me from this hour’?  But for this purpose I came to this hour.  Father, glorify Your name” (John 12:27-28). 

Confident Servant  ~  “Jesus answered and said to him, ‘If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.  He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father's who sent Me’” (John 14:23-24).  Jesus answered them, ‘Do you now believe?  Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, each to his own, and will leave Me alone.  And yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me.  These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace.  In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world’” (John 16:31-33). 

Persevering Servant  ~  Now it came to pass, when the time had come for Him to be received up, that He steadfastly set His face to go to Jerusalem” (Luke 9:51). 

Accepted Servant  ~  Jesus said, “And in that day you will ask Me nothing.  Most assuredly, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in My name He will give you.  Until now you have asked nothing in My name.  Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full” (John 16:23-24). 

Victorious Servant  ~  Jesus said, “I have glorified You [God, the Father] on the earth.  I have finished the work which You have given Me to do.  And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was” (John 17:4-5). 

The ultimate example is the perfect servant—the Son of God.  All God’s servants are sons of God, and all God’s sons are called to be servants.

~ Robert Lloyd Russell, ABUNDANT LIFE NOW

If you found this post personally interesting or helpful, you are welcome to add a link to it on your own blog or website. 

If you would prefer to copy this post, please credit ALN as the source by prominently displaying the following statement:  Reprinted from “Abundant Life Now,” a free blog which offers inspiring moments, thought-provoking comments, and solid Biblical insight (http://RobertLloydRussell.blogspot.com/).

No comments:

Post a Comment