Friday, July 4, 2014

Independence



~ Dependence Upon God Provides The Greatest Freedom ~



Quotes from our 16th President  ~  “I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go.  My own wisdom, and that of all about me, seemed insufficient for that day.  When I left Springfield I asked the people to pray for me.  I was not a Christian.  But when I went to Gettysburg and saw the graves of thousands of our soldiers, I then and there consecrated myself to Christ.  Yes, I do love Jesus.”    ~ Abraham Lincoln 

“I know there is a God, and that He hates injustice and slavery.  I see the storm coming, and I know that His hand is in it.  If he has a place and work for me—and I think He has—I believe I am ready.”    ~ Abraham Lincoln

“It is the duty of nations, as well as of men, to own their dependence upon the overruling power of God and to recognize the sublime truth announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history, that those nations only are blessed whose God is the Lord.  I am much indebted to the good Christian people of the country for their constant prayers and consolations; and to no one of them, more than to yourself.”    ~ Abraham Lincoln, from his September 4, 1864, Letter to Eliza Gurney

“Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow.  The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.”   ~ Abraham Lincoln

“The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies.  To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God.  In the midst of a civil war of unequalled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere...  No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things.  They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God.”    ~ Abraham Lincoln, October 3, 1863

“I believe the Bible is the best gift God has ever given man.  All the good from the Saviour of the world is communicated to us through this book.”    ~ Abraham Lincoln

“He said he wanted to visit the Holy Land and see those places hallowed by the footprints of the Saviour.  He was saying there was no city he so much desired to see as Jerusalem.  And with the words half spoken on his tongue, the bullet of the assassin entered the brain, and the soul of the great and good President was carried by the angels to the New Jerusalem above.”    ~ Mary Todd Lincoln, April 14, 1865 (her recollection of Abe’s last words)

Comment  ~  Freedom from sin is the greatest of all freedoms! 

From an old Protestant hymn:
        Know this, that every soul is free
                To choose his life and what he'll be;
        For this eternal truth is given
                That God will force no man to heaven.
       
        He'll call, persuade, direct aright,
                And bless with wisdom, love, and light,
        In nameless ways be good and kind,
                But never force the human mind. 

~ Robert Lloyd Russell, ABUNDANT LIFE NOW

If you found this post personally interesting or helpful, you are welcome to add a link to it on your own blog or website. 

If you would prefer to copy this post, please credit ALN as the source by prominently displaying the following statement:  Reprinted from “Abundant Life Now,” a free blog which offers inspiring moments, thought-provoking comments, and solid Biblical insight (http://RobertLloydRussell.blogspot.com/).

No comments:

Post a Comment