~ Does God Favor One Sport? ~
Tennis? ~ I once met a fellow who believed God’s favorite sport was tennis—his reasoning was that Moses served in Pharaoh’s court.
Baseball? ~ A much better argument could be made for baseball being the divine sport of favor. There are at least five reasons.
- The principle of first mention is typically important in studying Scripture—and some would argue that baseball is mentioned in the very first verse of the Bible, where we read, “In the big inning…”
- Still in the first book of the Bible we read God instructing Noah in the following way, “Make an ark of gopher wood with rooms in the ark—pitch it inside and pitch it outside” (Genesis 6:14).
- In the book of Job we read a concern that “There is no umpire” (Job 9:33 nasb).
- Near the end of the Bible we read that the New Jerusalem is laid out in the same shape as a baseball diamond (equal distances between bases), “The city was laid out like a square, as long as it was wide” (Revelation 21:16).
- Finally, there is Scriptural numerology. The one number which the vast majority of theologians agree on is the number seven—as a number of completeness. In baseball each batter is allowed four balls or three strikes to complete their time at bat.
Thank you Pastor Raoul Robles for contributing some of the concepts presented.
~ Robert Lloyd Russell, ABUNDANT LIFE NOW
If you found this post personally interesting or helpful, you are welcome to add a link to it on your own blog or website.
If you would prefer to copy this post, please credit ALN as the source by prominently displaying the following statement: Reprinted from “Abundant Life Now,” a free blog which offers inspiring moments, thought-provoking comments, and solid Biblical insight (http://RobertLloydRussell.blogspot.com/).