Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Quote: Jim Elliot, 14



~ The Greatest Prophet ~ 

As a Prophet Christ Spoke of Judgment

The following is an excerpt from a book.

Now I know that we’ve had the Scripture doctored up to us in the last hundred years or so. We’ve been saying that Jesus Christ was a meek sort of a loving kind of a Savior, and that He didn’t talk to us about punishment, that He didn’t talk to us about fire and vengeance like the Old Testament did. But, my friends, get a hold of this. Jesus Christ told us more about hell than any other prophet in the world.

Jesus Christ talked more about hell than He did about heaven. He had the right and the authority to describe hell because He had been on the other side of death, before birth. He was the only One who could have come into birth and say, “I came into the world.”  He wasn’t just brought into the world in the sense that we’re brought into the world, by natural principles. Jesus Christ came into the world in the sense that He chose to come, and He came because He was God and was able to take upon Himself the form of a man. Now He has gone back into heaven. When He was here on the earth He described to us the things that are on the other side of our life. Jesus Christ was a prophet in the full sense. Not through visions, not through ideas that had come into His head, but because He existed on the other side of death! He could tell us what heaven and hell were like. He knew it because He had been there. That’s what He Himself claimed in this passage, we read, “I don’t speak for Myself,” He says, “I tell you what I’ve seen and heard.” And in the third chapter of John, “I’ve been there and I know what I’m talking about when I speak about hell. Or when I speak about heavenly things, I know whereof I speak because I’ve been there.”  Jesus Christ is the only One who can say that, my friend, and that’s why His Word is so terribly important. So terrifyingly important.

~ from “JIM ELLIOT: A Christian Martyr Speaks to You, pgs 103-104  (ISBN: 9781615797646)
Learn more about this important book at Amazon, the Publisher, or the Author’s website.

~ Robert Lloyd Russell, ABUNDANT LIFE NOW

NOTES:
(1)     The current TOP 10 ALN posts are listed at the very bottom of this home page.
(2)     There is an INDEX of all ALN posts accessed by scrolling down the left column.
(3)     You may LINK to any ALN posts on your own blog or website. 
(4)     You may COPY any ALN post, but please credit ALN as the source by prominently displaying the following statement:  Reprinted from “Abundant Life Now,” a free blog which offers inspiring moments, thought-provoking comments, and solid Biblical insight at http://RobertLloydRussell.blogspot.com/ .

No comments:

Post a Comment