~ God Responds to Honest Doubt ~
The Biblical account of the life of Gideon provides for one of the most interesting character studies in all of Scripture. In this series we will discover practical lessons for living the Christian life today.
Scripture ~ ‘So Gideon said to God, ‘If You will save Israel by my hand as You have said—look, I shall put a fleece of wool on the threshing floor; if there is dew on the fleece only, and it is dry on all the ground, then I shall know that You will save Israel by my hand, as You have said.’ And it was so. When he rose early the next morning and squeezed the fleece together, he wrung the dew out of the fleece, a bowlful of water. Then Gideon said to God, ‘Do not be angry with me, but let me speak just once more: Let me test, I pray, just once more with the fleece; let it now be dry only on the fleece, but on all the ground let there be dew.’ And God did so that night. It was dry on the fleece only, but there was dew on all the ground” (Judges 6:36-40).
Learn From Gideon ~ There is a huge difference between challenging or testing God compared to honest doubt and seeking confirmation.
- Gideon, like many of us, doubted his own ability. He also doubted that God was real and powerful enough to do what He said. Fortunately, God responds to honest doubt—in the Scripture above God responded to Gideon’s honest skepticism and doubt.
- We serve a patient God. Even after confirmation of his own request Gideon is not satisfied. God knowing honest doubt God confirms a second time! God is never upset with a seeker who is honestly seeking truth.
- Notice that even after his calling from God, Gideon continued to make excuses and question God.
- This completes Judges Chapter 6. As we continue into the story of Gideon in Judges Chapter 7 we will see that God can raise up and elevate an honest doubter who learns to trust God.
Challenge For Us ~ Can you and I trust God without fear of death and without demanding a sign?
concluding comment ~ We learn about Gideon primarily from Judges 6-8, but also Isaiah 9:1-7, and Hebrews 11:1-3, 32-34.
~ Robert Lloyd Russell, ABUNDANT LIFE NOW
(1) The current TOP 10 ALN posts are listed at the very bottom of this home page.
(2) There is an INDEX of all ALN posts accessed by scrolling down the left column.
(3) You may LINK to any ALN posts on your own blog or website.
(4) You may COPY any ALN post, but please credit ALN as the source by prominently displaying the following statement: Reprinted from “Abundant Life Now,” a free blog which offers inspiring moments, thought-provoking comments, and solid Biblical insight at http://RobertLloydRussell.blogspot.com/ .