Saturday, October 12, 2019

Myth, 17


~ Christian Leaders Are More Spiritual Than Other Christians ~

The Myth  ~  Christian leaders have got it all together spiritually.  In reality a true Christian leader is a leader because they have heard and followed a specific call on their life from God.  However, they still fight similar battles that the rest of us fight. 

The Standard  ~  Having been called to spiritual leadership does add more responsibility with the accompanying greater accountability.  “My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment” (James 3:1).

An Example  ~  The Apostle Paul could say, “This is a true saying, and everyone should believe it: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—and I was the worst of them all.  But that is why God had mercy on me, so that Christ Jesus could use me as a prime example of his great patience with even the worst sinners.  Then others will realize that they, too, can believe in him and receive eternal life” (1 Timothy 1:15-16 NLT).  “For I am the least of the apostles, who am not worthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.  But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all, yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.  Therefore, whether it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed” (1 Corinthians 15:9-11).

A Role Model  ~  Good spiritual leaders point their followers to Christ.  Consider John the Baptist, “He must increase, but I must decrease” (John 3:30).  “I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry.  He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire” (Matthew 3:11). 

The Danger for The Leader  ~  Satan loves to attack and destroy God’s people and if he can bring down a visible leader it is a real trophy for him.  “Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.  Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.  Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world.  But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.  To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever.  Amen” (1 Peter 5:6-11).

The Danger for Followers  ~  It is easy to put our leaders on an unrealistic pedestal with unrealistic expectations.  Then when they visibly fail our faith is easily shaken.  The reality is we should always be looking to Christ as our role models rather than to any Christian man or woman.  “Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God” (Hebrews 12:1-2).

The Solution for Followers  ~  “At the end of that time, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven, and my sanity was restored.  Then I praised the Most High; I honored and glorified Him who lives forever.  His dominion is an eternal dominion; His kingdom endures from generation to generation” (Daniel 4:34, niv).

~ Robert Lloyd Russell, ABUNDANT LIFE NOW

NOTES:
(1)     The current TOP 10 ALN posts are listed at the very bottom of this home page.
(2)     There is an INDEX of all ALN posts accessed by scrolling down the left column.
(3)     You may LINK to any ALN posts on your own blog or website. 
(4)     You may COPY any ALN post, but please credit ALN as the source by prominently displaying the following statement:  Reprinted from “Abundant Life Now,” a free blog which offers inspiring moments, thought-provoking comments, and solid Biblical insight at http://RobertLloydRussell.blogspot.com/ .

No comments:

Post a Comment