Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Where is your God? – 2 of 2

God Surrounds You by His Love

During this season it seems appropriate to consider how our God surrounds us by His eternal love. Consider Psalm 23.

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside quiet waters,
He restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

Psalm 23:1-6 niv

The twenty-third Psalm is the best-loved of all the Psalms for many reasons. It has often been called The Shepherd Psalm. The word picture of a shepherd with His sheep which David chose is significant—he had direct experience as a shepherd caring for sheep (1 Samuel 16:19). David knew that only satisfied sheep who feel totally secure will “lie down in green pastures.”

To me one of the most interesting things about this Psalm is that every angle of need and protection is satisfied. Or looked at another way, we are surrounded by His love and care.

Beneath (under) - “He makes me lie down in green pastures.”

Beside (sides) - “He leads me beside quiet waters.” Also, “He guides me in paths of righteousness,” suggesting boundaries on both sides.

Before (front) - “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.”

Behind (back) - “Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life.”

Beyond (above) - “I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.”

Notice the Psalm begins with my possession, “The LORD is my shepherd,” it continues with my provision, and ends with my prospect, “I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.”

1 comment:

  1. Very nice. The kids started memorizing this Psalm (again) this week. Ask them to recite it next time you see them! :)

    ReplyDelete