Thursday, December 22, 2016

David, 3of6



~ David Sinned AND Repented AND Was Forgiven AND Used by God ~

David’s Sins Were Real  ~  His most well-known sins were committing adultery with Bathsheba and then trying to cover it up by sending her husband, Uriah, to the front lines of battle to his sure death. 

David’s Repentance Was Genuine  ~  “David said to Nathan, ‘I have sinned against the Lord’" (2 Samuel 12:13).  Notice that David recognized his sins were not only against his fellow man (i.e., Bathsheba, Uriah, etc.) but rather his sin was against God Himself.  (Note: If you doubt that David was genuinely repentant read 2 Samuel 9:1-20:26 and 1 Kings 1:1-12.) 

David Received Complete Forgiveness  ~  “Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness; according to the multitude of Your tender mercies, blot out my transgressions.  Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.  For I acknowledge my transgressions, and my sin is always before me.  Against You, You only, have I sinned, and done this evil in Your sight — that You may be found just when You speak, and blameless when You judge.    Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and uphold me by Your generous Spirit.  Then I will teach transgressors Your ways, and sinners shall be converted to You.     For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it; You do not delight in burnt offering.  The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and a contrite heart — these, O God, You will not despise” (Psalm 51:1-4 12-13, 16-17).

David Was Restored to Great Usefulness  ~  After the end of all the wars, David planned the building of a temple for the ark of God (his son Solomon was the one God chose to carry out David’s plans).  But the Lord said to my father David, ‘Whereas it was in your heart to build a temple for My name, you did well that it was in your heart’” (1 Kings 8:18).  David is listed in the New Testament Hall of Faith (Hebrews 11:32).  Jesus Christ was referred to as the “Son of David.”  In summary, while David sinned (like all of us do), God reviewed David’s entire life and called him a man after God’s own heart! (Acts 13:22)  

~ Robert Lloyd Russell, ABUNDANT LIFE NOW

NOTES:
(1)     The current TOP 10 ALN posts are listed at the very bottom of this home page.
(2)     There is an INDEX of all ALN posts accessed by scrolling down the left column.
(3)     You may LINK to any ALN posts on your own blog or website. 
(4)     You may COPY any ALN post, but please credit ALN as the source by prominently displaying the following statement:  Reprinted from “Abundant Life Now,” a free blog which offers inspiring moments, thought-provoking comments, and solid Biblical insight at http://RobertLloydRussell.blogspot.com/ .

No comments:

Post a Comment