Wednesday, December 28, 2016

David, 5of6



~ Because of David’s Position He Had Extra Responsibility ~

David’s Responsibility  ~  Regarding David the Scriptures say he was given great responsibility, “Thus shall you say to My servant David, ‘Thus says the Lord of hosts: “I took you from the sheepfold, from following the sheep, to be ruler over My people Israel.  And I have been with you wherever you have gone, and have cut off all your enemies from before you, and have made you a name like the name of the great men who are on the earth.  Moreover I will appoint a place for My people Israel, and will plant them, that they may dwell in a place of their own and move no more; nor shall the sons of wickedness oppress them anymore, as previously, since the time that I commanded judges to be over My people Israel.  Also I will subdue all your enemies.  Furthermore I tell you that the Lord will build you a house.  And it shall be, when your days are fulfilled, when you must go to be with your fathers, that I will set up your seed after you, who will be of your sons; and I will establish his kingdom.  He shall build Me a house, and I will establish his throne forever.  I will be his Father, and he shall be My son; and I will not take My mercy away from him, as I took it from him who was before you.  And I will establish him in My house and in My kingdom forever; and his throne shall be established forever”’” (1 Chronicles 17:7-14). 

David’s Accountability  ~  In the New Testament Jesus clearly stated a principle found throughout Scripture, “For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more” Luke 12:47b).  We find a related thought in the book of James, “Brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment” (James 3:1).

David’s God of Love  ~  It is almost paradoxical that even though David failed so miserably at times God was delighted with him.  How could this be?  God sees our hearts and our intentions—He knows our true desires.  “For He knows the secrets of the heart” (Psalm 44:21b).

“But the Lord said to my father David, ‘Whereas it was in your heart to build a temple for My name, you did well that it was in your heart” (1 Kings 8:18).  And when He had removed him, He raised up for them David as king, to whom also He gave testimony and said, ‘I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after My own heart, who will do all My will.’  From this man's seed, according to the promise, God raised up for Israel a Savior—Jesus—after John had first preached, before His coming, the baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel.” (Acts 13:22-25).

~ Robert Lloyd Russell, ABUNDANT LIFE NOW

NOTES:
(1)     The current TOP 10 ALN posts are listed at the very bottom of this home page.
(2)     There is an INDEX of all ALN posts accessed by scrolling down the left column.
(3)     You may LINK to any ALN posts on your own blog or website. 
(4)     You may COPY any ALN post, but please credit ALN as the source by prominently displaying the following statement:  Reprinted from “Abundant Life Now,” a free blog which offers inspiring moments, thought-provoking comments, and solid Biblical insight at http://RobertLloydRussell.blogspot.com/ .

No comments:

Post a Comment