Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Prayer for the Fourth

~ Freedom from Sin is the Greatest Independence ~

George Washington wrote: 

“Oh, most glorious God, in Jesus Christ my merciful and loving Father, I acknowledge and confess my guilt, in the weak and imperfect performance of the duties of this day. I have called on Thee for pardon and forgiveness of sins…  Let me live according to those holy rules which Thou hast this day prescribed in Thy holy Word; make me to know what is acceptable in Thy sight, and therein to delight; open my eyes of understanding, and help me thoroughly to examine myself concerning my knowledge, faith and repentance, increase my faith, and direct me to the true object Jesus Christ, the way, the truth, and the life. These weak petitions I humbly implore Thee to hear, accept, and answer to the true object, Jesus Christ, the way, the truth, and the life. These weak petitions I humbly implore Thee to hear, accept, and answer.”  

“It is impossible to rightly govern... without God and the Bible.” 

“I now make it my earnest prayer that God would have you, and the State over which you preside, in His holy protection; that He would incline the hearts of the citizens to cultivate a spirit of subordination and  obedience to government, to entertain a brotherly affection and love for one another, for their fellow-citizens of the United States at large, and particularly for brethren who have served in the field; and finally that He would most graciously be pleased to dispose us all to do justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that charity, humility, and pacific temper of mind, which were the characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed religion, and without an humble imitation of whose example in these things, we can never hope to be a happy nation.”

Billy Graham wrote:

“Our Father and Our God, we praise You for Your goodness to our nation, giving us blessings far beyond what we deserve. Yet we know all is not right with America. Convict us of sin. Help us to turn to You in repentance and faith. Set our feet on the path of Your righteousness and peace. We pray today for our nation's leaders. Give them the wisdom to know what is right, and the courage to do it. You have said, ‘Blessed is the nation whose God is Lord.’ May this be a new era for America, as we humble ourselves and acknowledge You alone as our Savior and Lord. This we pray in Your holy name, Amen.”   

contemplate:  Freedom provides the opportunity to make decisions. Our character determines the ability to make right decisions!  

No comments:

Post a Comment