Sunday, October 6, 2013

Christ in 2 Samuel



~ Jesus Christ Is The Greater David ~

The Bible is about Jesus Christ  ~  “Jesus said to them, ‘How foolish you are, and how slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! Did not the Christ have to suffer these things and then enter His glory?’ And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, He explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning Himself” (Luke 24:25-27).

In First and Second Samuel we see glimpses or foreshadowings of Jesus Christ as the prophesied Son of David, our Trusted Prophet, and the Anointed One. 

In Second Samuel Jesus Christ is foreshadowed as the Son of David, the Greater David, and the Princely King.  When your [David] days are fulfilled and you rest with your fathers, I will set up your seed after you, who will come from your body, and I will establish His kingdom.  He shall build a house for My name, and I will establish the throne of His kingdom forever.  I will be His Father, and He shall be My son…  But My mercy shall not depart from Him, as I took it from Saul, whom I removed from before you.  And your house and your kingdom shall be established forever before you.  Your throne shall be established forever” (2 Samuel 7:12-14a, 15-16). 

comment:  Does God keep His promises?  Of course!  While it is true that there would not always be a descendant of David presiding over Israel, the lineage of David continued.  About a thousand years after King David’s death Jesus Christ came to earth through the lineage of David (Matthew 1).  Interestingly, the phrase “Son of David” is one of the more common titles used to describe Jesus Christ throughout the New Testament.  It is also of note that David was the final person in the Scriptures to whom Jesus Himself attached His identity.  “Then the seventh angel sounded: And there were loud voices in heaven, saying, ‘The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!’” (Revelation 11:15).  “I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches.  I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star” (Revelation 22:16).  At the very close of our Bible Jesus reasserts that He is in the lineage of King David. 

additional comment:  Compare the following three pairs of passages from Scripture. 

I will be His Father, and He shall be My Son.  If He commits iniquity, I will chasten Him with the rod of men and with the blows of the sons of men” (2 Samuel 7:14). 
“For to which of the angels did He ever say:You are My Son, today I have begotten You?"  And again:I will be to Him a Father, and He shall be to Me a Son’?” (Hebrews 1:5). 

 “The God of my strength, in whom I will trust; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge; my Savior, You save me from violence” (2 Samuel 22:3).  The Hebrew writer in quoting Old Testament passages says, “And again: ‘I will put My trust in Him.’  And again: ‘Here am I and the children whom God has given Me’” (Hebrews 2:13). 

“Therefore I will give thanks to You, O Lord, among the Gentiles, and sing praises to Your name” (2 Samuel 22:50).  “Now I say that Jesus Christ has become a servant to the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made to the fathers, and that the Gentiles might glorify God for His mercy, as it is written: ‘For this reason I will confess to You among the Gentiles, and sing to Your name’” (Romans 15:8-9). 

The Apostle Paul told us the Scriptures present many shadows of things to come but the reality is found in Jesus Christ (Colossians 2:17). 

~~~ EXPLANATORY “JESUS CHRIST IN EVERY BOOK OF THE BIBLE” SERIES ~~~   
(1)  Approximately once a month ALN posts an overview of how Jesus Christ is seen in a specific book of the Bible.
(2)  In most cases these posts only scratch the surface regarding Jesus Christ in the particular book.
(3)  These posts will typically be in the same order as the books are found in the Bible.
(4)  These serial posts are in addition to our other ALN postings.
(5)  Subscription to ABUNDANT LIFE NOW blog is simple—just use the link on the left sidebar.  Once subscribed you will not miss future posts.

~ Robert Lloyd Russell, ABUNDANT LIFE NOW

No comments:

Post a Comment