Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Psalmist Cries, 4of5

 ~ Lament of Questioning God ~

Introduction  ~  Throughout the Book of Psalms we find a Psalmist crying out to God – lamenting the circumstances surrounding him.  In this series we look at five types of laments found in the Psalms – it is by no means an exhaustive list of the types of laments or the number of psalms in each of the types we look at.  Also, a particular psalm can be labeled in more than one way. 

Example Psalms  ~  My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?  Why are You so far from helping Me, and from the words of My groaning?  O My God, I cry in the daytime, but You do not hear; and in the night season, and am not silent.    My praise shall be of You in the great assembly; I will pay My vows before those who fear Him” (Psalm 22:1-2, 25). 

“O God, why have You cast us off forever?  Why does Your anger smoke against the sheep of Your pasture?  Remember Your congregation, which You have purchased of old, the tribe of Your inheritance, which You have redeemed — this Mount Zion where You have dwelt.  Lift up Your feet to the perpetual desolations.  The enemy has damaged everything in the sanctuary.  Your enemies roar in the midst of Your meeting place; they set up their banners for signs.  They seem like men who lift up axes among the thick trees.  And now they break down its carved work, all at once, with axes and hammers.  They have set fire to Your sanctuary; they have defiled the dwelling place of Your name to the ground.  They said in their hearts, ‘Let us destroy them altogether.’  They have burned up all the meeting places of God in the land. …  Arise, O God, plead Your own cause; remember how the foolish man reproaches You daily.  Do not forget the voice of Your enemies; the tumult of those who rise up against You increases continually” (Psalm 74:1-8, 22-23).

“O Lord, God of my salvation, I have cried out day and night before You.  Let my prayer come before You; incline Your ear to my cry.  For my soul is full of troubles, and my life draws near to the grave.  I am counted with those who go down to the pit; I am like a man who has no strength, adrift among the dead, like the slain who lie in the grave, whom You remember no more, and who are cut off from Your hand.    But to You I have cried out, O Lord, and in the morning my prayer comes before You.  Lord, why do You cast off my soul?  Why do You hide Your face from me?  I have been afflicted and ready to die from my youth; I suffer Your terrors; I am distraught.  Your fierce wrath has gone over me; Your terrors have cut me off.  They came around me all day long like water; they engulfed me altogether.  Loved one and friend You have put far from me, and my acquaintances into darkness” (Psalm 88:1-5, 13-18). 

Comment  ~  Have you ever cried out to God with a cry of questioning God?

~ Robert Lloyd Russell, ABUNDANT LIFE NOW

* * * * *

Author web page: http://booksrlr.com/ “Books by Robert Lloyd Russell”  

·         Be an insider!  Sign up for his Author Newsletter and receive occasional news and special offers.  His books have won national and international literary awards.  Subscribe today and receive a welcome gift.  Your email will never be sold, given, or used in any other way.  You can easily unsubscribe at any time.  https://www.subscribepage.com/rlr 

Daily blog page: http://robertlloydrussell.blogspot.com/ “Abundant Life Now”

·         The INDEX of topics is accessed by scrolling down the left column.

·         The current TOP 10 reader favorites are listed at the bottom of the page.

·         Personal TOP 10 favorites are listed in the right-hand column of the blog. 

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robertlloyd.russell 

Career page: http://www.robertlloydrussell.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment