Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Psalmist Cries, 5of5

 ~ Lament With Confidence In God ~

Introduction  ~  Throughout the Book of Psalms we find a Psalmist crying out to God – lamenting the circumstances surrounding him.  In this series we look at five types of laments found in the Psalms – it is by no means an exhaustive list of the types of laments or the number of psalms in each of the types we look at.  Also, a particular psalm can be labeled in more than one way. 

Example Psalms  ~  “Plead my cause, O Lord, with those who strive with me; fight against those who fight against me.  Take hold of shield and buckler, and stand up for my help.  Also draw out the spear, and stop those who pursue me.  Say to my soul, ‘I am your salvation’.    And my soul shall be joyful in the Lord; it shall rejoice in His salvation.  All my bones shall say, ‘Lord, who is like You, delivering the poor from him who is too strong for him, yes, the poor and the needy from him who plunders him?’ …  Let them be ashamed and brought to mutual confusion who rejoice at my hurt; let them be clothed with shame and dishonor who exalt themselves against me.   Let them shout for joy and be glad, who favor my righteous cause; and let them say continually, ‘Let the Lord be magnified, Who has pleasure in the prosperity of His servant.’  And my tongue shall speak of Your righteousness and of Your praise all the day long” (Psalm 35:1-3, 9-10, 26-28).

“I said, ‘I will guard my ways, lest I sin with my tongue; I will restrain my mouth with a muzzle, while the wicked are before me.’  I was mute with silence, I held my peace even from good; and my sorrow was stirred up.  My heart was hot within me; while I was musing, the fire burned.  Then I spoke with my tongue: ‘Lord, make me to know my end, and what is the measure of my days, that I may know how frail I am.  Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths, and my age is as nothing before You; certainly every man at his best state is but vapor.    Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear to my cry; do not be silent at my tears; for I am a stranger with You, a sojourner, as all my fathers were.  Remove Your gaze from me, that I may regain strength, before I go away and am no more" (Psalm 39:1-5, 12-13).

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God.  My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.  When shall I come and appear before God?  My tears have been my food day and night, while they continually say to me, ‘Where is your God?’   Why are you cast down, O my soul?  And why are you disquieted within me?  Hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God” (Psalm 42:1-3, 11).

“Vindicate me, O God, and plead my cause against an ungodly nation; Oh, deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man!  For You are the God of my strength; why do You cast me off?  Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?   Why are you cast down, O my soul?  And why are you disquieted within me?  Hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God” (Psalm 43:1-2,5).

 

Lord, You have been our dwelling place in all generations.  Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever You had formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God.    Return, O Lord!  How long?  And have compassion on Your servants.  Oh, satisfy us early with Your mercy.  That we may rejoice and be glad all our days!  Make us glad according to the days in which You have afflicted us, the years in which we have seen evil.  Let Your work appear to Your servants, and Your glory to their children.  And let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands for us; yes, establish the work of our hands” (Psalm 90:1-2, 13-17).

 

“Hear my prayer, O Lord, and let my cry come to You.  Do not hide Your face from me in the day of my trouble; incline Your ear to me; in the day that I call, answer me speedily. …  But You, O Lord, shall endure forever, and the remembrance of Your name to all generations.  You will arise and have mercy on Zion; for the time to favor her, yes, the set time, has come.  For Your servants take pleasure in her stones, and show favor to her dust.  So the nations shall fear the name of the Lord, and all the kings of the earth Your glory.  For the Lord shall build up Zion; He shall appear in His glory.  He shall regard the prayer of the destitute, and shall not despise their prayer.    But You are the same, and Your years will have no end.  The children of Your servants will continue” (Psalm 102:1-2, 12-17, 27-28).

Comment  ~  Have you ever cried out to God while in great distress but maintaining complete confidence in His plan and timing?

~ Robert Lloyd Russell, ABUNDANT LIFE NOW

* * * * *

Author web page: http://booksrlr.com/ “Books by Robert Lloyd Russell”  

·         Be an insider!  Sign up for his Author Newsletter and receive occasional news and special offers.  His books have won national and international literary awards.  Subscribe today and receive a welcome gift.  Your email will never be sold, given, or used in any other way.  You can easily unsubscribe at any time.  https://www.subscribepage.com/rlr 

Daily blog page: http://robertlloydrussell.blogspot.com/ “Abundant Life Now”

·         The INDEX of topics is accessed by scrolling down the left column.

·         The current TOP 10 reader favorites are listed at the bottom of the page.

·         Personal TOP 10 favorites are listed in the right-hand column of the blog. 

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robertlloyd.russell 

Career page: http://www.robertlloydrussell.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment