Saturday, May 19, 2018

Fact Check, 56


~ Just Believe ~           

Bible Quotation?  ~  “Just believe and you can do anything.”  This is closely related to the line from the famous poem Invictus: “I am the master of my fate, and the captain of my soul” (William Ernest Hemingway).

The Bible Says  ~  These are foreign concepts to Scripture. 

(1) The Bible does clearly teach that all things are possible with God.  “But Jesus looked at them and said to them, ‘With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible’” (Matthew 19:26).  ”Jesus said, ‘The things which are impossible with men are possible with God’” (Luke 18:27).  Notice, that the Word of God makes it clear that somethings are impossible for man. 

(2) Because something is possible does not mean it is probable.  “Jesus went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, ‘O My Father, if it is possible [that is according to the will of His Father], let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.’ (Matthew 26:39, also see Mark 14:36).

(3) Consider this passage:  If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.  Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, ‘Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,’ says the Lord” (Romans 12:18-19).  This passage makes it clear that even when trying to do the right thing—it is not always possible. 

(4) The Scripture also makes it clear that a Christian’s greatest strength is in their humility and recognition of where power comes from.  “Jesus said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.’  Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake.  For when I am weak, then I am strong” (2 Corinthians 12:9-10).

Comment  ~  When we increase our intimacy with God our desires become closer to His will.  As that process matures we seek what He would have us desire.  Then we can rejoice in passages such as the following:  “Jesus said to him, ‘If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes’” (Mark 9:23).

~ Robert Lloyd Russell, ABUNDANT LIFE NOW

NOTES:
(1)     The current TOP 10 ALN posts are listed at the very bottom of this home page.
(2)     There is an INDEX of all ALN posts accessed by scrolling down the left column.
(3)     You may LINK to any ALN posts on your own blog or website. 
(4)     You may COPY any ALN post, but please credit ALN as the source by prominently displaying the following statement:  Reprinted from “Abundant Life Now,” a free blog which offers inspiring moments, thought-provoking comments, and solid Biblical insight at http://RobertLloydRussell.blogspot.com/ .

No comments:

Post a Comment