Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Progression



~ Normal Christian Progress  ~

Enemy (opposed to their Creator)  ~  “[Spiritual] Adulterers and adulteresses!  Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God?  Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God” (James 4:4). 

Follower (interest in the Messiah)  ~  “And Jesus, walking by the Sea of Galilee, saw two brothers, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen.  Then He said to them, ‘Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.’  They immediately left their nets and followed Him” (Matthew 4:18-20).  “Then another of His disciples said to Him, ‘Lord, let me first go and bury my father.’  But Jesus said to him, ‘Follow Me, and let the dead bury their own dead’” (Matthew 8:21-22). “As Jesus passed on from there, He saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax office.  And He said to him, ‘Follow Me.’  So he arose and followed Him” (Matthew 9:9).

Disciple (learner of Truth) ~  Jesus said, “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For My yoke is easy and My burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30).  Great crowds were following him.  He turned around and addressed them as follows: ‘Anyone who wants to be My follower must love Me far more than he does his own father, mother, wife, children, brothers, or sisters-yes, more than his own life-otherwise he cannot be My disciple.  And no one can be My disciple who does not carry his own cross and follow Me” (Luke 14:25-27, TLB).

Servant (coworker with Christ)  ~  “But Jesus called them to Himself and said, ‘You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and those who are great exercise authority over them.  Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant.  And whoever desires to be first among you, let him be your slave — just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many’” (Matthew 20:25-28).

note  ~  Jesus said, “A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master.  It is enough for a disciple that he be like his teacher, and a servant like his master” (Matthew 10:24-25a).

Friend (intimacy with their Lord)  ~  Jesus said, “You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.  No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you” (John 15:14-15).

the bottom-line  ~  Every individual is given the opportunity to move from an enemy of God to a friend of God!

~ Robert Lloyd Russell, ABUNDANT LIFE NOW

NOTES:
(1)     The current TOP 10 ALN posts are listed at the very bottom of this home page.
(2)     There is an INDEX of all ALN posts accessed by scrolling down the left column.
(3)     You may LINK to any ALN posts on your own blog or website. 
(4)     You may COPY any ALN post, but please credit ALN as the source by prominently displaying the following statement:  Reprinted from “Abundant Life Now,” a free blog which offers inspiring moments, thought-provoking comments, and solid Biblical insight at http://RobertLloydRussell.blogspot.com/ .

No comments:

Post a Comment